Key Features of New Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa Program Replacing 457 visa?
The Prime Minister of Australia, Malcolm Turnbull has announced to abolish the 457 Visa programs that allow the foreign skilled workers to get 4 years work visa in Australia. This visa is largely popular in the countries like India, China, and UK, etc. The abolition of this visa has raised many questions from applicants and other individuals and entities associated with the program.
The government has announced that it will introduce two new visa categories under Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa Program as a replacement of 457 Visa Program. However, not many people know about this program and the new features it will bring. So, let’s get more insight on the new TSS Visa program.
New TSS Visa Program
The new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa Program will replace the existing 457 visa program. This particular visa program includes two key work visa streams, i.e.
- Short term stream for up to 2 years
- Medium Term stream for up to 4 years
These two streams of TSS Visa programs will have two key objectives, i.e. firstly, to help employers combat the skill shortage issues and secondly, ensure the prioritization of Australian workers.
Key features of Latest TSS Visa Program
The key changes in the immigration system and programs from the government aim to foster new reforms to the temporary and permanent skilled migration programs of Australia. Here are the key features of the reforms being introduced by the government.
New requirements of Temporary skill shortage visa
- Updated occupations lists more targeted and directed towards skill needs in the country
- 2 years’ work experience requirement from visa applicants in their skilled occupation
- Well defined minimum Salary rate, so that overseas workers can’t be hired just for low-cost skills available
- Only one onshore visa renewal under the Short-Term stream
- under the Medium-Term stream, visa renewal onshore and a permanent residence pathway after 3 years the permanent residence eligibility period will be extended from two to three years
Tighter eligibility requirements for employer-sponsored permanent skilled visas
- Constrict English language requirements
- The visa applicants require having at least 3 years’ work experience
- Need to be under maximum age requirement of 45 when making application
- Australian market salary rate and meet the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold1.
- Reducing the occupation lists used for Skilled Migration Programs, i.e. 457 visa program with effect from April 19, 2017
Confused about your Visa option after key changes in 457 Visa?
If you are not sure about which visa you must apply post the crucial changes in 457 visa program, you may coordinate with reliable immigration consultants in Mumbai for Australia to get inclusive update and assistance for immigration to Australia. A trusted Visa consultancy firm with its years of experience and expertise guides you the perfect way to apply for a relevant skilled PR visa in Australia.
To send your query to the certified migration expert for Australia, send an email to email id- firstname.lastname@example.org.