An Overview of the Short Term & Medium Term Work Visa streams of Australia
In a crucial announcement on April 18, 2017, Australian Prime Minister scrapped the ongoing 457 visa program for skilled workers. After this news the skilled workers across the world got really confused and concerned thinking about their immigration pathways in Australia. However, the government also announced that a new visa program, i.e. TSS (Temporary Skill Shortage) will replace the existing 457 Visa program.
However, the Australian work visa aspirants are still in dilemma about their work visa options in Australia. Hence, to clear all the confusions and doubts, we are providing you the overview of the two new visa streams under the TSS program.
- Short- Term Stream
The Short term Stream has been designed to fill the skill gaps in Australia by inviting the suitable foreign skilled workers in the country. The foreign workers under this stream will be invited to fill those positions for which, the appropriate Australian workers are not available. This visa stream is for two years.
Key Criteria of Short-term stream
- Visa renewal: Renewal facility for this visa is only available onshore for once only
- The combined list of eligible occupations will only apply for non-regional Australia applications
- The combined list of eligible occupations will apply to regional Australia with extra occupation available to help regional employers
- English Language Proficiency: An applicant needs to acquire the English language proficiency equals to level 5 (at least 4.5 in each language ability) as per the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
- Legitimate Entry: The applicant must be genuine entrant in Australia
- Medium-Term stream
This particular visa stream has been designed to address the skill shortage in few specific occupations, which need high skills and talent. The foreign skilled workers under this stream can be hired if eligible local employees are not available for the position.
Key Criteria of Medium-term stream
- Visa renewal: Renewal facility for this visa is available onshore and pathway for permanent residence after 3 years
- The Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) (MLTSSL) will apply for non-regional Australia applications
- The Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) (MLTSSL) will apply to regional Australia with extra occupation available to help regional employers
- English Language Proficiency: An applicant needs to acquire the English language proficiency equals to level 5 as per the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
General Eligibility Requirements for both the streams
- Work experience: Relevant work experience of minimum 2 years
- Labour market testing (LMT): Essential LMT, except an international obligation affect
- Minimum market salary rate: Employers require paying the Australian market salary rate and fulfill the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold requisites
- Character: Provide essential penal clearance certificates
- Workforce: A unbiased workforce test to make certain employers are not actively discriminating against workers in Australia
- Training requirement: A reinforced training need for employers to contribute towards training of the workers in Oz.
Need to apply for relevant work visa in Australia?
If you are still confused about the new Australia immigration changes and need assistance to apply for relevant work visa in Australia, you may get in touch with Australian Migration Agents in Mumbai for essential help and support.