An Overview of the Short Term & Medium Term Visa streams of Australia
In a crucial announcement on April 18, 2017, Australian Prime Minister scrapped the ongoing 457 visa program for skilled professionals. After this news, the skilled professionals across the world got really confused and concerned thinking about their immigration pathways in Australia. However, the government also announced that a new visa program, i.e. TSS (Temporary Skill Shortage) will replace the existing 457 Visa program.
To clear all the confusions and doubts, we are providing you the overview of the two new visa streams under the new TSS program.
- Short-Term Stream
- The Short-term Stream has been designed to fill the skill gaps in Australia by inviting the suitable foreign skilled professionals in the country. The foreign professionals under this stream will be invited to fill those positions for which, the appropriate Australian professionals are not available. This visa stream is for two years.
Key Criteria for Short-term stream
- Visa renewal: Renewal facility for this visa is only available onshore for once only
- The combined list of eligible occupations will only apply for non-regional Australia applications
- The combined list of eligible occupations will apply to regional Australia with extra occupation available to help regional employers
- English Language Proficiency: An applicant needs to acquire the English language proficiency equals to level 5 (at least 4.5 in each language ability) as per the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
- Legitimate Entry: The applicant must be genuine entrant in Australia
- Medium-Term streamThis particular visa stream has been designed to address the skill shortage in few specific occupations, which need high skills and talent. The foreign skilled professionals under this stream can be hired if eligible local professionals are not available for the position.Key Criteria of Medium-term stream
- Visa renewal: Renewal facility for this visa is available onshore and pathway for permanent residence after 3 years
- The Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) (MLTSSL) will apply for non-regional Australia applications
- The Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) (MLTSSL) will apply to regional Australia with extra occupation available to help regional employers
- English Language Proficiency: An applicant needs to acquire the English language proficiency equals to level 5 as per the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
General Eligibility Requirements for both the streams
- Experience: Relevant experience of minimum 2 years
- Labour market testing (LMT): Essential LMT, except an international obligation affect
- Minimum market rate for wages: Sponsors of short term visas require paying the Australian market wages rate and fulfil the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold requisites
- Character: Provide essential penal clearance certificates
- Workforce: A unbiased workforce test to make certain employers are not actively discriminating against professionals in Australia
- Training requirement: A reinforced training need for employers to contribute towards the training of the professionals in Oz.
Need to apply for the relevant skilled PR visa in Australia?
If you are still confused about the new Australia immigration changes and need assistance to apply for relevant Skilled PR Visa in Australia, you may get in touch with Australian Migration Agents in Mumbai for complete documentation support.
Disclaimer: Visas Avenue does not deal in any type of job or job assistance services. Visas Avenue is not a job recruitment agent or job service provider. Visas Avenue does not offer consultancy on / overseas jobs/work permits/international or domestic placements.